9 Steps to Getting a Promotion
It’s enjoyable when your life is progressing. Like losing weight or increasing your net worth, getting a promotion can be gratifying. The key is to prove that you deserve a promotion and are the right person for the job. With a little planning, you can get a promotion and advance your career.
Even if you’ve been stuck in the same job for years, it’s never too late to make new career strides. You can quickly establish yourself as a valuable employee that deserves greater responsibilities.
Get a promotion and revitalize your career:
1. Work for a company where promotions are possible. For example, if you work for a small company with a long-term workforce, there will be few opportunities for promotion. So, your first step might be to find a new company! A large company with multiple locations would exponentially increase your chances of moving up or across an organization.
2. Start each day with a plan. Most employees arrive at work, grab a cup of coffee, socialize for a while, and then try to figure out what to do. Have a plan before you go to bed. With a plan, when you get up, you can start your day effectively and get a head start on the competition.
3. Go above and beyond. This used to mean being seen early and staying late. Today, it is a combination of knowing what your management team values, doing more with less, and taking initiative.
4. Always be early. Again, maybe not early to work, but early with your work. If something is due by Friday at 5:00, have it completed on Thursday. Be 100% reliable. And be on time for meetings. Avoid letting anyone down. Be impeccable with your word.
5. Avoid making enemies. You never know whom your archenemy knows. You both might be low on the totem pole, but your nemesis might be best friends with the CEO’s daughter. Be one of those people that everyone likes and admires. It’s not hard to be pleasant when a promotion is at stake.
6. Be indispensable. There are certain people that your company can’t do without. You probably know a few of them. What can you do to be so valuable that the company will try to keep you happy? One key to getting a promotion is being important enough that the company won’t want to disappoint you.
7. Identify the important people. Where is your promotion likely to be? For whom would you work? Start making friends and prove your worth. Specifically, ask about the position and what qualities they need in an employee.
· Begin developing and advertising the skills necessary to be successful.
8. Speak to your boss and human resources. Let them know that you’d like a promotion in the near future. You’ll be viewed favorably for showing initiative, and you’ll be on their radar. Being proactive shows that you are willing to take on greater responsibilities. Please do not show up in their offices every other week and cross the line from the initiative taker to a nuisance.
9. Apply for appropriate positions. Keep your eye on the job postings. You can even suggest a new position be created that’s perfect for your backgrounds, skills, and interests.
Some people choose not to work that hard towards a promotion. Meaning, you have much less competition than you think. However, if your best efforts fail, it might be time to look at another company. The perfect promotion for you already exists somewhere. The disadvantage of staying with the same company is fewer opportunities. Weigh your options and enjoy your promotion.
Deep End Talent Strategies offer career coaching for employees in transition and those who want to grow and succeed in their current field and company. Schedule a free “where do I start?” call today.